Tuesday, April 10, 2007

It's Always Something

I apologize for not keeping in touch, our mom has been staying with me for the past couple of weeks and then my computer crashed. It has been nice having another adult in the house, and I know the kids enjoy having her here. Noah went up to her tonight and hugged her leg, three times, I could see my mom's heart melt. She says she is ready to go home, I don't think so, I'm thinking maybe a couple of weeks more. My house is her alternative to rehab so she can't leave until the doctor says she can. She needs to be able to take care of herself, and she can't. She can take care of her hygiene, and personal things, but she can't cook for herself or do her laundry, it takes too much of her energy at this time. I figured it would be a long process, I don't think she did, she has been an independent woman for most of her life, she's not used to this. Her recovery is going to take time, and we have all the time in the world.

Helen had her annual cardiologist appointment today, it went well. The doctor has been keeping an eye on a membrane located by the aortic valve, it hasn't changed much in the past couple of years. She did inform me however that Helen will once again have to undergo open heart surgery to remove it, she just doesn't know when. If there is a significant change to that membrane, then it will be removed. I'm trying not to worry about it because this may not happen for years, and I don't want to make myself sick. I really miss Peter at times like these, my voice of reason. He would know exactly what to say to make me feel better and ease my mind. Her doctor was in shock over the news of Peter and in fact cried. She told me what a wonderful man he was and how good he was with Helen, and she would miss him.

Today was a tough day.
Until next time-
Take Care,
Sue

No comments: