Wednesday, January 30, 2008

BRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

BRRRRRRRR!!!!!! I can't believe how cold it has been today, they closed the schools because of it. I had plans for this morning that I had to cancel, and lunch with my friend Catherine, oh well, next week instead. With the wind chill the temperature this morning was -40 degrees. The wind was so strong during the night, it woke me up quite a few times. I think it scared Noah at one point because he woke up screaming. I went to check on him and almost ran into him when I went into the boys room. I scooped him up and took him into my bed, I know you're not supposed to do that, but, I have the room, so why not!!?! Our day was spent checking on our thermometer(it came with the house) outside, I never thought I would enjoy it so much, but I do. I also told the kids to do some studying, I know it's what Peter would have done. I always thought he was strict about that, you know, making the kids do school work even when they were done with it. He bought so many activity books for them, we named them "Daddy school books", we still have a ton of them around the house. The other day when I picked the kids up from school, Ted was upset. I asked him what was wrong and he said, "I wish daddy was here." I asked him why he felt that way and he said, "Because I miss doing daddy school." I told him even though daddy wasn't with us, he could still work in the books, I could help him. After I said that Robbie said, "But then it wouldn't be daddy's school, it would be mommy's school!" I assured them it would always be "daddy's school", no matter who helped them. It was quiet after that, as if they were all thinking about it, and him. I am now on a quest to track down all of the daddy school books that Peter bought for the kids, and start working on them with all of the kids.


This week we are celebrating Catholic Schools Week with a lot of activities at school. Monday was crazy hat day and out of uniform. They had a carnival in the morning and in the afternoon the eigth grade girls played volleyball against the faculty, the girls won. Helen didn't have school Monday so we were able to go and watch the game. Helen really enjoyed it, she kept telling me, "Mommy, game!" I would ask her, "Did you have fun at the volleyball game?" and she said, "YES!!" My kids all wore hats from Halloween costumes, Ted had a cowboy hat, Robbie a Santa hat, Katie had a witches hat, and Grace wore a pirate hat. Some of the hats we saw that day were so cute and original. A little girl in Katie's class had an upside down ice cream cone, so it looked like it was melting on her head. Tuesday was wear your favorite sports team, or colors, and an all school field trip to the roller rink. Ted wasn't too happy about it, he thought now that he's in third grade he would do much better with the roller skates, he didn't. I told him he would have to practice this summer so that next year he will do fine. Today would have been dress up or uniform day with an open house. Tomorrow is the big Trivia game where the kids split up into groups, a kid from every grade makes up one team. The teams pick what color to wear so you know who is on what team, they also make up names. Ted's team is black and they are called "The Magic Eights", Robbie's team is brown and they are called "The Brownie Brown's". Friday is spirit day, they wear the school colors. In the afternoon the eigth grade boys will play against the faculty in basketball. We won't be able to go and watch that game, Helen's bus arrives during the game. The kids really look forward to this week, I think it gives them a sense of community. They really do a lot as a school during this time, not just individual classes. I stress out hoping they get colors they already have in their drawers for the trivia game!! Other than that, I enjoy the week also.

I hope all of you enjoy the rest of your week. Try and keep warm if you are in a place that's extremely cold, keep dry if you are getting rained on, and if you are lucky enough to be in a place where the sun is shining and it's warm, ENJOY!!!!


Until next time-
Take Care,
Sue
Free Counters




Free Counter



No comments: