Thursday, February 5, 2009


I have had a rough couple of weeks, yesterday I had an allergic reaction to the medication I was on for strep throat. I actually started having the reaction days ago, but didn't realize what was going on until yesterday when I became very ill. My legs and ankles were swollen and I was getting bad headaches. My mom's legs and ankles used to swell up when she was on them all day, so I just thought I inherited that trait from her. I figured the headaches were stress related so I took Advil and went on with my days. Yesterday when I woke up I felt as though I had gained 50 pounds, I was swollen everywhere. I had another headache so I took some more Advil then headed off to the kid's school. I felt okay, just bloated, so I didn't see any harm in staying and helping with hot lunch. I really look forward to Wednesdays, I have made some wonderful friends. After lunch was served to all the students, my head started pounding. I ate something thinking it could have been from not eating all morning. I helped with the clean up and then grabbed some more to eat and finally sat down. That's when it hit me hard, I felt so sick, I couldn't eat. I used what strength I had in me to get Grace, Noah and myself home. I didn't even take my coat off, I went straight to bed, my head felt like it was going to burst open. I got physically sick at one point and realized there was no way I was going to be able to pick the kids up from school. I called a friend who usually helps me with rides but she wasn't home, I left a message. I called my father-in-law, thank goodness he was around and could help me. He went and picked the kids up and brought them home. He stayed and helped until I was feeling better. I did start feeling better in the evening, it was just my head that still had a bit of a throb to it. I am happy to say I'm feeling much better this morning. I can't believe the effects medication can have on your body, I was very sick. My kids have been wonderful during all of this, Ted has taken charge. He was helping my father-in-law make sandwiches for dinner last night, and I heard him telling the other kids to be quiet because I was resting. Katie has been helping by trying to keep the house clean, not an easy job!

I have a lot to do around here, I also need to get to the grocery store. I was going to shop on Monday but then Grace didn't feel good and stayed home from school. There just isn't enough time in a day!

Until next time-
Take Care,

Free Counters

Free Counter


Kristy Colvin said...

I am so sorry you went through all that! Last week I had an allergic reaction to antibiotics and my tongue swelled up. I took a few doses of Benedryl and was able to get it out of my system.

Are you still working on the clothing line? We would love for you to come exhibit at our July conference in Cincinnati!

For more info, go to our site

Get well soon!

Sue said...

Thank you Kristy, I wish I could have taken something to help with the pain! Instead I had to ride it out while the medicine went through my system.

We are still working on the clothing line, we hit a glitch, something Sherry is going to write about soon. We will check out your site, coming to your conference is definitely a possibility.

Thanks again,