Thursday, June 11, 2009

Naughty Helen

Oh my goodness, I am soooo not used to having the kids around all day long. As you can see, I had a hard time getting on the computer today. Every time I sat down to get started writing, someone needed something, or, they were nonstop asking when I would be done. I couldn't concentrate, so I gave up and decided to wait until they were in bed. Aaahhh, quiet time!

I met with Helen's teachers last week for a follow up to her IEP from back in February. I don't know if you remember, but they were talking about changing her program which would mean changing schools. They decided not to move her, the program she would have been going into would have done more harm than good. Her teacher told me she is not going to give up on Helen, she is invested. It is my understanding that the program they were talking about putting her in, was the one where they focus on self help skills, that's it. I guess there are behavior issues in that type of class, and her teacher was afraid Helen would pick up on it, and do her more harm than good. Like her teacher said, Helen has the potential, she just needs to start cooperating a little more. The past two days Helen has been acting up at school, so she has gotten sad faces on her chart. I wouldn't know this from seeing her chart because somehow it gets lost before it reaches home. I called her teacher today because of the way she was acting when she got off the bus. She wouldn't come in, she stood out on the sidewalk with her thumb in her mouth (a sign that she knows she did something wrong). It was then that I learned of the naughty behavior Helen has been displaying at school. Do you remember what happens when Helen doesn't get all smiley faces on her chart? Helen does, that's why she "loses" her chart before she gets home. She knows she will not get her favorite snack of pretzels and marshmallows if she has one sad face. She was extremely naughty today, which is why she had her thumb in her mouth and wouldn't come in until she could no longer see me waiting at the door. When she finally got to the door, I asked her how school went, she told me, "No Mommy!" I feel bad she was so naughty, but glad to see she understands her behavior was unacceptable. I am hoping with a good night's sleep she will be better behaved tomorrow at school. I think that had something to do with it. The other kids are done with school so they get to stay up. When I told her it was time for bed because she had school in the morning, she fought in every way possible. I should have been more firm with her, it's hard at night, my energy level is very low. I was able to get her to bed at a decent time tonight, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Katie and Grace are dancing at Greek Fest this week-end, I'm working the beer tent on Saturday night. Maybe I'll meet someone...or, maybe not.

Until next time-
Take Care,
Sue

3 comments:

Donna Jean said...

Hi Sue,

I just read your last post, and I want you to know how much I understand what you are going through with Helen.

I had a hard time with Laurie too, when she was Helen's age. Just to give you a little heads up, IT WILL GET BETTER!!! As Helen matures, she will "get it", unfortunately, it is so hard to live through this trying period, and just when you think you have one thing down, another issue will pop up!! Laurie is 29, and she still gives me a hard time over things.

One thing that drives me up the wall is how slow Laurie is. I have to wake her up an hour and a half before her Van comes, and even then we are rushing to finish all the morning routines. The more I say "Laurie, hurry up", the slower she gets!

I have found though, if I get all of her clothes out and then leave the room and say "OK Laurie, it's up to you to get dressed, I'll be back in 10 minutes, so its Teamwork Morning, you do your part, and I'll do mine", then she will get moving and get ready in time.

But weekends are ridiculous. She will just putter around the house, and never get out of her PJ's unless we have a special place to go. Sometimes I just have to leave the room she is in and go outside or something, or else I feel like pulling my hair out!!!

And then she will do something so sweet, I forget about all the stressful stuff.

I'm glad Helen is able to stay in her class for at least another year. Continuity is so important. Laurie is not one for change, and that was one of the hardest things for her, the never-ending new classes and new teachers.

Hope all is well with you otherwise, and that the kids are all healthy.

Love,
Donna

Sue said...

Hi DonnaJean,

So nice to hear from you on the blog. Thanks for reminding me I'm not the only one dealing with issues. Helen is usually pretty good at getting ready on time, unless she knows we are running late. For some reason she thinks that means to slow down and take your time...Ugh!

This may post before your comment. We had to change the way our comment section was set up.

Take Care,
Sue

Donna Jean said...

Hi Sue,

I sure hope it didn't sound like I was lecturing or giving unwanted advice! Just wanted to let you know that Helen is just a typical little girl, and will do her best to try anything to see just how far she can go! I remember so much Laurie's little antics, both at home and at school!

We are getting real excited about the NDSC convention coming up in about 6 weeks. I sure wish you and Sherry were going to be there :(

I have joined a couple of new Groups on FaceBook, I love Someone With Down syndrome, and I (heart) Someone with Down syndrome,(I still don't know how to make the heart symbol) and then another Blog on BlogSpot, just for those going to the convention. It will be fun to meet these Mom's & Dad's and their kids.

Looking at all their pictures and reading their stories is very heartwarming. Do you do FaceBook? I don't do MySpace, but I am on FB a little bit. I don't get carried away, and am very careful who I add as a Friend. A few of the gals from The Owls Nest found me there, so I exchange things with them now and then. I don't go on the Nest anymore. Don't really have the time or energy, and those gals (and Joey & Bear, too) can sure get a bit raunchy at times!! I thnk it is fun for them, but it can be a bit much for my taste! But, I still care for all of them very much. I met a whole bunch of "cyber-friends" from the old Blog, and I am grateful for that. I wouldn't have met you! And JenFK is on FaceBook, so I have been able to see her family in photos. Do you remember her? Maybe you connect with her. She has a son named Alex, and now has a little baby girl.

Well sweetie, I better go and finish up with Laurie. She just got out of the tub, and needs her hair combed out.

Have a great evening,
Love, Donna