Monday, May 7, 2007

Let Them Eat Cake

We received most of Helen's test results back, the Celiac one is the one we are waiting on. Her Endocrinologist said her thyroid looks good and she doesn't have to go back for a check up until six months but blood work in three. The Pediatrician said her white blood count went up but is still on the low end. Helen has been battling a sinus infection so that could be the culprit, or it could be that Helen's low count is normal for her. When we go for the thyroid blood work we will also get another CBC and go from there. I am hoping for good news from the Gastro doctor, I'm hoping the numbers show that Helen's gluten free diet is working. I did inform the doctor that Helen is not completely gluten free, not for lack of trying, Helen sometimes finds food the other kids have left behind. He understands how difficult it must be and how expensive it would be to have everyone in the family gluten free.

Teddy made his first communion yesterday, he didn't like the wine and kept playing with his tongue. He looked very handsome and grown up in his tie, he wore Peter's cross under his shirt. It was a very nice mass and we had a beautiful day, it did get a little chilly in the evening. I had a cook-out in honor of him, the food was delicious and the company wonderful. When serving the cake I told Helen she couldn't have any because it made her tummy hurt and asked her what I could get for her. She grunted at me and left the room, mad of course. I went outside to check on the other kids and clean up half eaten cake. I came across a plate that had, almost, a full piece of cake, so I asked if the person it belonged to was done. My nephew on Peter's side said he was still eating it, so I left it out there. About twenty minutes later Helen came into the kitchen and asked me something, when I bent down to hear her better I noticed the cake crumbs around her mouth. I gasped and asked her if she ate cake, with a look of guilt she stared at me and didn't say a word. When I went outside after everyone had left to clean up and put toys away, laying in the grass by the side of the slide was cake smooshed into the grass. The plate and fork were a few feet away, probably blown there by the wind that had picked up. I had to chuckle to myself when I pictured Helen finding gold sitting on the table and taking it to her favorite place outside in order to enjoy it without being caught. Thank goodness she did okay during the night and it didn't keep her or me awake.

Until next time-
Take Care,
Sue


Free Counters



Free Counter

No comments: